Re: [orca-list] Gnome and KDE accessibility

Jason White wrote:
The accessibility support that TrollTech implemented and announced last year
used d-bus however, which thus appears to be the direction in which they are
headed in QT 4, unless this has been reconsidered more recently.

Under funding from the Mozilla Foundation, the folks at Codethink have done a pretty independent analysis of porting AT-SPI to DBus:

http://blogs.sun.com/wwalker/entry/at_spi_over_dbus_investigation

I believe at least one of the Schmi Dt brothers (http://behindkde.org/people/gunnar/) was present at the meetings to discuss this, and I think they generally support the notion that if this is done, it would be the thing KDE will use.

In general, I don't understand what ATK gives an application that ATSPI can't,

ATK provides this kind of abstract peering model for toolkit objects and there's also a ATK bridge to speak AT-SPI. So, the basic idea is that the toolkit creates accessible peers for GUI components via ATK and the ATK bridge exposes that to the world via AT-SPI. With this model, the peering complexity is managed by the toolkit. The IPC mechanism is managed by the bridge, simplifying the gunk in the toolkit. As a result, we see things like GTK+, Firefox, and OOo all using ATK.

The comments about solaris was to do with solaris being a Sun product
and orca being part of the Sun accessibility project (I believe) so
potentially could be seen in the light of Sun trying to meet legal
requirements.

If you've ever met the Orca team, you'd know our passion goes well beyond the 8AM-5AM Mon-Fri job. I don't even know what it is like to work like that anymore. A 40 hour work week? That == vacation to me.

Will