Re: [orca-list] contacting skype users

I have to agree with some of that. If it is possible to create another
GUI (which previously I thought it wasn't), then that's the way I think
it should be done and would support that work (in what way I could).
That solution at least would be making skype accessible to other ATs as
well so would have a greater value. I still would hope that skype may
return some thanks for it by improving things at their end should it be
needed to achieve greater accessibility on linux.

The QT and Gnome accessible API is a topic with which I would prefer not
to get involved too much. I think there's simply not enough agreement
between KDE and gnome and enough people to come forward to help. I don't
foresee that issue being resolved in the short term unless an outsider
does something and that probably would not be considered official by
both.

I also make some question of what the motivation of Sun micro might be.
what I will say here is not necessarily true, just my thoughts, and so
should be taken in a suitable way. I wonder whether to an extent if Orca
is being done to make solaris accessible out of the box, like the Mac
is, and that at the moment solaris uses gnome by default, but should a
different desktop manager be used then sun may move to do a different
screen reader. I would hope that should Sun ever drop support for Orca
that we would have a sufficiently strong community to keep the project
going, unlike LSR which I believe is fairly dead now.

From
Michael Whapples