Re: [orca-list] Orca 2.22.0 a bad regression

I want to emphasize that CSUN is much more than an evangelistic
opportunity. It's face to face time for developers and consumers alike.

Yes, of course it's disappointing when major problems crop up ahead of
events like CSUN, when customary response times slacken. However, one
can expect regressions when relying on leading edge software, whether or not a
conference is in progress.

To my mind, if it's mission critical, than it's imperative to provide an
workable escape route--what I like to call the "get out of jail free
card."

Here's what I know for sure. CSUN will be back in 2009 and 2010. It may
not be the perfect storm that appears to have arisen in 2008, but it
will be there the third week of March next year and for years following.
II can tell you today, a full year ahead, is that there will be releases
immediately ahead of CSUN 2009. I will not immediately install them on
my laptop, because my laptop will go with me to CSUN and I need to
insure it works. I will first test them somewhere I can afford problems.
This is the plan I've followed for years. It's my "get out of jail"
strategy. I don't know that any particular app will fail. But, over
time, some will and I believe an ounce of protection is certainly worth
a pound of cure.

Janina

Steve Holmes writes:

One thing I might add in support of attending conferences, conventions
and the like, is this is yet another opportunity for evangelizing the
product.  We so often hear the complaint that not many blind folks use
Linux and they just glum on to Windows and the expensive screen
readers because they don't know, nor they willing to learn the
alternatives such as linux and now some gnome accessibility.  I would
hope that at places like CSUN, Site Village, ACB and NFB conventions
that either developers or even better yet, active users of the
alternative platforms could show up and do some "dog and pony shows"
of Linux, Speakup and Orca just to mention a few.

Glad you're back though.  One web site I went to last evening did not
exhibit the originally report problems.  http://www.scottsigler.com
I was there just briefly and successfully downloaded one of his
episodes of the podcast.