Re: [orca-list] miscellaneous Orca comments

Janina Sajka <janina rednote net> writes:

Yes, Speakup was modularized years ago. Anyone who doesn't want or need
it can simply not turn it on.

This is not fully true.  Speakup always needed a patch to get
its hooks for console input/output watching into place.
Only recently, a patch has been introduced (in linux-2.6.23 or .24 I think)
which would allow speakup to dynamically hook into the kernel,
finally allowing full modularisation.

Distributors are always a bit nervous about adding components to the kernel
that are not in mainline.  I've tried to convince various people
that it would be worthwhile to work on integrating speakup into
the mainline kernel, but this has failed completely so far (I remember
I talked to speakup upstream the first time about this in 2004!)

--
CYa,
  âââââ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>