Re: [orca-list] FF frustrations [was: Firefox 3 find and alt tags]

This might be easier to deal with at present, since Firefox/orca doesn't
always clearly tell you when your in the tab list and sometimes its hard to
know if your navigating page content or a
toolbar/sideBar/otherWindowFurnature.   [...]

If I may suggest something, perhaps another keystroke could be used to move
between panels or sections of the current window. I think its far too easy
to get lost when tabbing around if the tab/shift+tab keys move you outside
the live page area. Perhaps control+pageUp and control+pageDown should move
between tabs, and control+tab and control+shift+tab should move you among
panels in the current window? Or, since control+tab and controlshift+tab are
already assigned to next/previous tab, assign control+pageUp/Down to move
among the panels in the current window?

Control-page up and control-page down are key bindings associated with Firefox, not Orca, so can't be changed.

Currently, the word "page" is appended after the title of the tab when you are moving between tabs. I haven't studied it carefully, but I think that, on the rare events when it is not spoken, it is not mentioned when some other event cuts off speech, such as an announcement of the state of the load--if I have two or more pages that are fully loaded and I switch between them, "page" always follows the title. It is always mentioned (in my experience) when I tab from the Google text box into the tab list. It could probably be made clearer, if desired, when you move into the tab list by stating "tab" before the title of the tabbed page. Another alternative would be to have a fourth voice setting in the speech preferences for system events--then the pitch or other attribute of the speech could be changed to enhance the presence of the "page" announcement.

I think this is really a question for the Orca developers to decide, but I'll put the question out there. What sort of feedback would people like to indicate that they are not within the contents of a web page?

dave