Re: [orca-list] accessing remote x-sessions

Hi Don, Dave, gang,

The challenge(s) with making remote X sessions displayed locally accessible comes down to going with one of two approaches in our UNIX world of programmatic/API-based accessibility:
 1. run a copy of the AT remotely, along with the remote X apps
 2. connect the local copy of the AT to the remote X apps

In the case of speech access, you must either have a remote copy of Orca receiving your keystrokes and sending back audio or some marked-up speech command (e.g. SSML) to be played locally; or you need the local copy of Orca to not only talk to the local apps via AT-SPI, but the remote apps over the network connection via AT-SPI.  In the case of magnification access, only the latter approach (network connection via AT-SPI) is likely to work.  Braille access could go either route, but there is less support in place to route the Braille over the network...

As I think should be somewhere in the archives (from when I spoke to this topic before), a pair of computer science students at NC State University - Sina Bahram and Mike Grace - developed the Remote Access Bridge which routes a remote X session, remote audio (not normally handled by most remote X systems) and also SSML (speech synthesis markup) to a local computer running a local Java app that then plays the audio and uses a local text-to-speech engine and a local X server to run the app.  See the website http://www.remoteaccessbridge.com/

I don't know what the status of the Remote Access Bridge is; I suspect it is not currently maintained.

Long term, I think it makes sense to work on a remote connection to AT-SPI, and I echo Dave's suggestion to file an RFE to that effect.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Hi, Don,

My memory of the thread includes a suggestion that the questioner try to
track down a piece of existing software (name unremembered). The
questioner tried to contact the author of that software and either
couldn't contact them or the software no longer existed. Sorry for the
fuzzy memory. I would suggest that you file an RFE.

dave

DON RAIKES ORACLE COM wrote:

David,

THanks, I was afraid of that answer :)

I only saw one post on the archive with no answer just a question.