Re: [orca-list] speech dispatcher - still confused

I just ran spd-conf and made a configuration and got spd-say to work with espeak but not ibmtts. Though I'm using voxin and not the other offering of ibmtts, they're essentially the same voice except that voxin is supported and maintained where as the other is not right? It says the speech dispatcher module is importable and the env grep pipe didn't return anything. But when I type spd-say test I hear espeak say test. Same for when I type spd-say -o ibmtts "testing". Orca still crashes when I try to start the configuration settings dialog.

From: "Hynek Hanke" <hanke brailcom org>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 9:37 AM
To: "Derek London" <derekedit hotmail com>
Cc: <orca-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] speech dispatcher - still confused

Derek London wrote:
And do I need to copy /etc/speech-dispatcher to my home directory, run spd-conf, both, or neither?

You need to do one of them. spd-conf is the easier way.

In addition to the instructions listed, are there more directories that should have been or need to be created? It's looking for a clients directory. What should go in there?

Client specific settings. This directory should be created in either way.
What exactly fails and with what message?

Also curious why /etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher stop doesn't stop the speech-dispatcher daemon, I see it says stopping, but then I still have to kill the process.

I think either your /etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher contains a mysterious "exit 0"
at the beginning or your /etc/default/speech-dispatcher contains a line
RUN_SPEECHD=no. Either of them is an invention of some distributions
which we have no controll about. Anyway, /etc/init.d/ only handles your
system-wide Speech Dispatcher and has no effect on the Speech Dispatchers
that you run under ordinary users.

All in all, I'm still largely unclear what I need to be doing, but the most important thing is getting orca to see speech-dispatcher when it is installed, or not see speech-dispatcher when it is removed so I can use the configuration dialog without crashing orca.

Did you run the spd-conf diagnostics? What does it say about the python library?
Does it work? What is the result of the following command?

env | grep SPEECHD_PORT

With regards,
Hynek