[orca-list] speech dispatcher - still confused

Since I can't use the orca preference dialog with this thing installed, and the same goes for when it's removed, it's clear that I have to do something, whether it be finding out how to fully install it or finding out how to fully remove it. At this point, I don't care which so long as whatever is suggested gets me to where I can use all of the functions and features of orca again. I'd like to have instructions for both. For installing sd, I'm confused as to what needs to be set and where to look for the settings. I've been having trouble with port numbers changing between 6560 and 6561. What files is that variable set in? Also, I know there are several different sound systems I can select from. Do I need to use alsa, oss, or pulse? Also it seems to be built around espeak as when I managed to get it to connect I heard my test message from espeak, nothing from ibmtts, and an error message from a "dummy module" when I didn't uncomment the addmodule lines in the speechd.conf. As for orca, I've looked at debug.out and see where speech-dispatcher interface is not installed. apt-get install speech-dispatcher and apt-get install python-speechd were the two things I saw that I needed. Is there perhaps more? *shiver*
I need to know what settings have to be changed so that orca is pointed to where speech dispatcher is, or it's not looked for at all in the case of me removing it. I'm curious if ibmtts is supported by speech dispatcher or if just the framework is in place and the support has yet to be written in. I see things like "A command like spd-say hello in a terminal should cause espeak to say the word hello." There, espeak is mentioned as if it should be the synthesizer that is used. I'd like to use ibmtts voxin if I can. Are there additional steps I need to take in order to use it with speech-dispatcher? Will I need to do further editing to make it talk while other audio is being played? This is the reason I've started on trying to install speech dispatcher in the first place as it doesn't do this using gnome speech.