Re: [orca-list] speech dispatcher - still confused

And do I need to copy /etc/speech-dispatcher to my home directory, run spd-conf, both, or neither? In addition to the instructions listed, are there more directories that should have been or need to be created? It's looking for a clients directory. What should go in there? Also curious why /etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher stop doesn't stop the speech-dispatcher daemon, I see it says stopping, but then I still have to kill the process. All in all, I'm still largely unclear what I need to be doing, but the most important thing is getting orca to see speech-dispatcher when it is installed, or not see speech-dispatcher when it is removed so I can use the configuration dialog without crashing orca. I'm curious why running the same installation procedure the same way produces three distinctly different results: A. speech dispatcher works, with espeak. B. speech-dispatcher reads an error, using a "dummy module." C. nothing. As I said, I'm not really sure which set of directions I should be working from here, and since I'm creating more problems that I'm solving, I'll just ask on the list.

From: "Hynek Hanke" <hanke brailcom org>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 4:34 AM
To: "Derek London" <derekedit hotmail com>
Cc: <orca-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] speech dispatcher - still confused

Dear Derek,

one of the problems you face is that Speech Dispatcher
is not well integrated into the distributions, so you need
to do some installation and settings of things you should
not normally be asked to do manually. There is definitely
work waiting to be done to make these things easier.

I've been having trouble with port numbers changing between 6560 and 6561. What files is that variable set in?
Speech Dispatcher is a server and Orca or other applications are clients.
The port is a communication channel, so both the server and the client
need to know on which port they can meet. In Speech Dispatcher you
can set the port in the speechd.conf file. The default for system wide
Speech Dispatcher is 6560 and user Speech Dispatcher is 6561. Depending
on what Speech Dispatcher you want to run/use in the client you need
to tell the client which port it should communicate with it. You can either do it in the settings dialogs in the client (I don't know if it is possible
with Orca) or set the environment variable SPEECHD_PORT, which should
be respected by all clients. One way to do this is to add the line

    export SPEECHD_PORT=6561

into your ~/.xsession file. This file needs to terminate with the line

    gnome-session

or similar.

You need to restart your gnome-session then and can check what is
the current state of the variable by executing in the terminal

env | grep SPEECHD_PORT
Also, I know there are several different sound systems I can select from. Do I need to use alsa, oss, or pulse?

You can use either of them, but ALSA is currently the most convenient option.

Also it seems to be built around espeak

No, espeak is the default option, but not in any way the only one.

as when I managed to get it to connect I heard my test message from espeak, nothing from ibmtts
Either you have set espeak as the default or your ibmtts is not working.
Check with

spd-say -o ibmtts "Is this IBM TTS or espeak?"

If you hear espeak not IBM TTS, your IBM TTS is not working with Dispatcher.
, and an error message from a "dummy module" when I didn't uncomment the addmodule lines in the speechd.conf. As for orca, I've looked at debug.out and see where speech-dispatcher interface is not installed. apt-get install speech-dispatcher and apt-get install python-speechd were the two things I saw that I needed. Is there perhaps more?

I don't think so. Very likely, Orca just didn't see Speech Dispatcher
because you didn't set the SPEECHD_PORT environment variable.

I'm curious if ibmtts is supported by speech dispatcher or if just the framework is in place and the support has yet to be written in.
IBM TTS is supported and should work. There are some problems
with it but they are difficult for us to fix given that IBM TTS is a
proprietary not free software, it needs special old libraries, doesn't
have a 64 bit binary etc.

I see things like "A command like spd-say hello in a terminal should cause espeak to say the word hello."
I think this is a line from the manual for instalation procedure where
it is meant that at the early stage, espeak is the default synthesizer,
not that espeak is the only synthesizer to use with speechd once you
have it up and running.
There, espeak is mentioned as if it should be the synthesizer that is used.

No.

Will I need to do further editing to make it talk while other audio is being played?

No, this should be the default behavior with ALSA (not OSS).

With regards & hope it helps,
Hynek Hanke