Re: [orca-list] Still issues with the navigation extension in FF

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 02:22:48PM -0400, Rich Caloggero wrote:

This is due to the way I'm processing the document. Because I wanted a quick
and durty first pass, I process the entire document and extract all links
(or headings depending on which extension we're talking about) into an array
each time I open the extension's main dialog. This gives a large performance
hit for large pages. I'll fix this soon.

As others have suggested, XPath might give you more efficient results. While
it would be possible to maintain a cache of the links (or headings), the
problem is that a client-side script can modify the DOM at any moment,
potentially modifying/inserting/deleting links or headings. The added
complexity of obtaining and handling mutation events to detect such changes,
and keeping the cache accurate, may not be worth the efficiency gain.