Re: [orca-list] Still issues with the navigation extension in FF

Sorry, haven't been around for the past couple of weeks. I will get back to
working on this soon.

The links list is still loaded very slowly, especially on large pages.

This is due to the way I'm processing the document. Because I wanted a quick
and durty first pass, I process the entire document and extract all links
(or headings depending on which extension we're talking about) into an array
each time I open the extension's main dialog. This gives a large performance
hit for large pages. I'll fix this soon.

The whole list is spoken automatically, which isn't solved too.

I both set focus to, as well as select the first element in the links list
(or headings list).  This may be causing orca to read the list (not sure
why).  I will look into this soon.

When typing the first letter to search for a certain link, Orca uses
structural navigation keys, so every keystroke has to be bypassed. I can
use the search box, but when I know that there's a certain link
beginning with a certain letter, I would prefer to just type this
letter. If it's unfortunately an Orca navigation key, I get a conflict.
Is there a way to tell the extension to not use the structural
navigation mode of Orca?

This is a good question. Since there is no "forms mode" in orca, orca needs
to be smart about the way it handles keyboard events. If focus is on an form
control which takes arbitrary keyboard input (like a single line textbox or
multi-line textarea), or a select list, then orca should pass all keyboard
input to the browser. Otherwise, orca should process keyboard input for
structural navigation.  It shouldn't matter whether the form controls are
embedded in a webpage or an extension.

How does orca handle this at present?
-- Rich