Re: [orca-list] speech-dispatcher crasing

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Tomas Cerha wrote:

well cureently I had no crashes for a few hours. That thing with setting
log level to 5 seems to be really crazy idea but I am starting to
believe this is the correct workaround.

Yes, this is a known workaround.  The sad side of this fact is that it
is impossible to debug this problem...

Did Luke ever send you the Ubuntu crash dump a few months back? It had one thread calling snd_pcm_hw_params in alsa_play and another thread calling snd_pcm_state in alsa_stop, and this caused a crash because, if I remember correctly, snd_pcm_hw_params frees a structure and then allocates a new one, and snd_pcm_get_state tried to access the structure before snd_pcm_hw_params had re-allocated it.

I don't know if this is what Peter is running into, but I don't see anything in the ChangeLog to fix this. Having those sorts of crash dumps should help, although I don't know how to create them off-hand (ubuntu apparently has tools to generate them and submit them as bugs)