Re: [orca-list] Orca And Multiple Audio Devices

        Hello,
Big thanks for your reply.
Yes the problem with indexes is my mistake perhaps it has all ben screwed up by this mistake.
Anyway now I have successfully restored my alsabase file from the backup.
Into the soundblaster card (ca0106) I have got loud speakers connected and into the intel8x0 I have got heatphones. I guess both of these cards are activated upon booting because I can notice a tiny click while booting. I believe this is normal. But that login prompt sound does not play at all. I think login dialogs shows up because when tapping backspace key I can hear system beep. I have also googled that alsa stores its volume control settings in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state . I have tryed to rename this file so it will run using the defaults but still I am getting no sound. I haven't got an other option just try booting live cd or windows and mess with the system until the sound comes back because I haven't braille display connected to it nor I have configured sshd to control it remotelly.

Peter

Christopher Moore  wrote:
Peter,
if indexes start at 0 then your second card should have index=1 not -1

Another thing you could do is plug headphones into your second soundcard
to see if you are getting sound from there.
On my system (also with two soundcards), when the cards load in the
proper order I hear the drums after the system boots which tells me that
I am ready to log in.

Chris