[orca-list] testing /usr/bin/viavoice-synthesis-driver

I am trying to activate orca under fc8 on a DELL latitude-D430.  Here
is the information from yum info
Installed Packages
Name   : orca
Arch   : i386
Version: 2.21.3
Release: 1.fc9

This doesn't appear to be speaking.

I am running emacspeak on a virtual console and can run orca -t fine
and do the set-up.
Emacspeak is using ttsynth which is listed as a potential
synthesizer.

test-speech also lists ttsynth  (well it calls it viavoice) as:
2: OAFIID:GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Viavoice:proto0.3

I follow through all the selections then, for example, choose the
callback test ... followed by  longlasting and complete silence.
The documentation on the orca site suggests testing the relevant
driver (/usr/bin/viavoice-synthesis-driver)
which is also quite silent.
I note looking at ps when test-speech  is running that there's a
viavoice-synthe  running and even using a bit of CPU.
I get similar behaviour with festival.
Now I've about run out of ideas.  I don't *think* it's emacspeak
because it still didn't talk with all instances of outloud killed.
I suspect that this is a rather basic error in my set-up, probably to
do with the sound system.
Anyone have any ideas?  Are there any debug flags I can run on
/usr/bin/viavoice-synthesis-driver?
thanks in advance
Peter

--
Peter Rayner: LSCE/IPSL, Laboratoire CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
address: Bat. 701 LSCE - CEA de Saclay