Re: [orca-list] Orca branched for GNOME 2.22 today...

Hi Rich:

You were on my long list of things to get to soon. :-) GNOME 2.22.0 is code freezing this coming Monday, I've been swamped with the GNOME Outreach Program for Accessibility, we're prepping for CSUN, yadda yadda yadda.

If you just want the latest Orca, and not all of GNOME 2.22, you can upgrade just key components: atk, gail, at-spi, and orca. This generally works well for me and others who have at least GNOME 2.20 installed on their machines (see gnome-about --version). I find the easiest way to do this is by building from source.

NOTE: BEFORE YOU READ ON -- I'm a very bold person when it comes to trashing my machine. So...keep this in mind when doing the following. Back up your important data. Your mileage may vary. Beware. Be brave. Be ready to re-install. Smile and have your sense of humor ready.

On Ubuntu, you need to make sure your build environment is in place. The procedure is outlined at http://live.gnome.org/Orca/DownloadInstall.

In short, though, these commands probably should get your build environment set up:

sudo apt-get build-dep gail at-spi gnome-orca
sudo apt-get install subversion gnome-common automake1.9

Then, you need to get atk, gail, at-spi, and orca from SVN and build/install them. I give no guarantees that the following commands will work, but I've been using something very similar on the machines I've been staging for CSUN. All they really do is just pull each module from svn, do an autogen.sh, build, and install. You might to run 'script' first to save the output away just in case things want to fail:

cd /tmp
for foo in "atk" "gail" "at-spi" "orca"
do
extra_args=
if [ "$foo" == "at-spi" ]
then
  extra_args="--libexecdir=/usr/libexec"
fi
svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/$foo/trunk $foo
cd $foo
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr $extra_args
make
sudo make install
cd ..
done

Note that these commands will replace your entire AT-SPI infrastructure, and you should at least log out and log back in for things to take effect.

Will

Rich Caloggero wrote:
How do I upgrade Ubuntu Gutsy to gnome-2.22?  I'm using apt command-line
utility. Do I need to put the gnome svn development url in the
sources.list file or something and then do "apt-get upgrade gnome"? When
I do this now, all I get is upgrades in 2.20.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.
-- Rich

----- Original Message ----- From: "Willie Walker" <William Walker Sun COM>