Re: [orca-list] I think my installed Ubuntu and Orca is just plain unstable...

am Fr 15. Feb 2008 um 09:53:00 schrieb Daniel Dalton <d dalton iinet net au>:
Well haven't had much luck with trying to play a simple mp3 file. I'm
now on my 2ND player, Exhail. This does work some what except orca
craps out when the program runs or it won't play and Orca keeps on
functioning.

If possible kill orca and then play your files.
If they work; go to the orca FAQ and read up on how to enable orca to use
alsa...
(I think alsa instructions are there.)
And hopefully that is the problem.

The problem is Gnome-Speech. It does not work with Alsa. All the players
(Totem, Rhythmbox etc.) use Alsa.
Furthermore I can confirm the difficaulties in using the features in
Rhythmbox - I think Bob wrote about it.
So my conclusion is to use a text based Linux, because it is miles ahead
concerning stability, usability etc.
For work, I cannot do on a text console, I use sometimes Ubuntu, but
mostly Windows. And I guess this situation will last for a while :-(
Hermann

--
I use grml (http://grml.org/)