Re: [orca-list] Yahoo! Search Assistant interaction is crippled by Orca

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the useful insight.
The edit field, however, works in Firefox and IE for Windows with all screen readers -- JAWS, Window-eyes, NVDA.
In your comments, did you mean Search Assistant from the front page or the "search results" page?
I think I see what you mean in that that Orca treats this edit field as a one-line entry field. Is this correct?
What type of aria role would one use for this type of control?

Regards,
Victor

Scott Haeger wrote:
Victor Tsaran wrote:

Hi Will and other Orca developers,
Yahoo.com has a great and very clever feature called Search Assistant
which displays suggestions for search terms as you type.
Keyboard users can review these suggestions by using up and down arrows
while in a "search" edit field.
While Orca gracefully reads search suggestions as they come up on the
screen, it does not allow using up and down arrow keys in the "search"
text field to review them.
...unless I am missing something totally obvious...
Any ideas?

Thanks,
vic

Hey Victor. The combobox type widget that makes up the yahoo search
assistant is actually an entry and a paragraph (the list). This widget
structure could sure use some ARIA markup to let Orca know what type of
widget it is. Without it, we treat it like an entry. An interim solution
is to use Orca+F12, where Orca=CapsLock(laptop) or Insert(desktop), to
toggle caret navigation controls from Orca to Firefox. This will allow
you to use the arrow keys to move down the list. Toggle back after your
selection.

Scott

Scott