[orca-list] using alsa

can i use alsa in ubuntu intrepid by just changing sound preferences in gnome from the defaults to alsasync and disableing pulseaudio in sessions under gnome preferences and just restart my pc? i would like to get speech-dispatcher working and heard it works best with alsa. i nearly thought i got somewhere once with speech-dispatcher with speech-dispatcher showing up under gnome preferences only when i selected it and rebooted my laptop i completely lost speech altogether.
hope someone can advise me.