[orca-list] Speech Dispatcher not working

Hello list!

I am trying to install speech dispatcher in a Ubuntu 8.0 system, for use with orca. I installed both the speech-dispatcher and python-speechd packages. After doing the installs and restarting orca, speech-dispatcher does not appear in the speech systems selector in orca preferences. I tried "speechd-sas" command and got "client failed to open" message. in "/var/log/speech-dispatcher", I have no files.

Thanks for your advise,

-Dave  H