Re: [orca-list] Speech Dispatcher not working

And here we are again... I went through the same. Someone should write about this on the Orca wiki. I might do it sometime... So you can try configuring Speech-Dispatcher by typing spd-conf on a terminal window. If you don't have ALSA installed, use Pulseaudio as your output. When you are prompted, just type pulse. Once you are done, you can run speech-dispatcher by typing speech-dispatcher on a terminal, but you might want to add it to your session so you don't have to do it every time. The best way to have it work though is to get rid of pulseaudio and install Alsa. Go to www.lalrecordings.com and listen to Darragh's walkthrough to do that. You will not regret it... The difference is amazing.
Let me know if you have any trouble...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Hunt" <dave hunt2 verizon net>
To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 5:50 PM
Subject: [orca-list] Speech Dispatcher not working

Hello list!

I am trying to install speech dispatcher in a Ubuntu 8.0 system, for use with orca. I installed both the speech-dispatcher and python-speechd packages. After doing the installs and restarting orca, speech-dispatcher does not appear in the speech systems selector in orca preferences. I tried "speechd-sas" command and got "client failed to open" message. in "/var/log/speech-dispatcher", I have no files.

Thanks for your advise,

-Dave  H