Re: [orca-list] Do many users exclusively use Linux?

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 11:34:31PM +0000, Michael Whapples wrote:
Also Orca does require the gnome desktop to
be working correctly, and you just need something to go slightly wrong
in a system upgrade, or in the system configuration and gnome may fail
to start. Compare this to the text console which depends on much less,
and the accessibility software there really does seem to be reliable
(brltty and speakup are the ones I am thinking of) you should always
have something to fall back on to recover your system.

I agree. The whole X Window System + window manager + desktop environment +
application + accessibility API + assistive technology scenario is very
complex, with plenty of opportunities for bugs to arise.

Compare this with, for example, the Plan 9 user interface, which shows how it
could all be done in a much simpler way. So far as I know, nobody has made
a Plan 9 style interface accessible, but I suspect it would be possible, and
that it would be less bug prone thereafter.