[orca-list] Understanding the gnome layout

Hello

Does anyone have any materials written or recorded from a blind
prospective, on understanding how things are laid out in gnome, at least
with the default window manager in Ubuntu Intrepid, the name of which
escapes me just now?

I.E. what panels are, the differences between "lock to panel" and "lock to
desktop"; what is meant by workspaces, how many of them there really are,
and why some times a menu or popup will appear in one and not another,
when previously it appeared elsewhere; and so on.

Maybe this is all covered in standard gnome documentation which I just
haven't looked at yet, but I thought that perhaps there was an
orca-centric, or blind-centric version somewhere which might have more
relevance.

Thanks for any thoughts, and apologies for the newbe question.

Luke