To: "Orca screen reader developers" <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Live regions and XUL?

I'm not meaning to speak for Milan, but my interpretation of the problem
is that we need a way for users to define ARIA type handling where web
authors have not done so.

A case in point:

http://tunnelbroker.net

This site breaks a11y with its js script that continuously updates its
estimate of when we will run out of IPv4 resources. In fact, it drives
up the load and will eventually crash the machine if FF isn't stopped.

Quick and dirty workaround: Add the following two lines to your
/etc/hosts ...
::1             entne.jp entne
127.0.0.1               entne.jp entne

Why does this workaround fix the problem on Tunnel Broker? Because the
js script that runs that rapidly auto-yupdating "Live Region" is sourced
from entne.jp. Thus, defining the address of entne.jp as localhost via
the most ancient of Internet mechanisms effectively blocks that script
from being sourced. Assuming none of us has reason otherwise to
communicate with entne.jp, it's a workable work-around, but it's not a
solution.

As things stand, the end user of tunnelbroker.net has no other
solution--except perhaps a Firefox plugin filter for that address--same
workaround strategy. We can write to Tunnel Broker and ask them to add
ARIA ml, and perhaps we should, but this will not solve all such
emerging issues. I could supply other examples, but the bottom line is
unchanged. Perhaps it's not an Orca issue, perhaps its a FF issue. But
we need mechanisms for users to define live-regions and set their
preferred politeness levels, etc., etc re ARIA.

Janina

Willie Walker writes:
Hi Milan:

I'm not sure, though I suspect the answer is "no".  :-(  Instead of
using XUL, have you considered using an ARIA-based toolkit such as Dojo?

Will

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 19:51 +0200, Milan Zamazal wrote:
> Is there some equivalent of live regions (recognizable by Orca) in XUL?
> I.e. a way to mark parts of a XUL user interface which would be
> recognized by Orca as potentially changing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Milan Zamazal

Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.202.595.7777; sip:janina a11y org
Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC http://CapitalAccessibility.Com

Marketing the Owasys 22C talking screenless cell phone in the U.S. and
Canada

Chair, Open Accessibility janina a11y org
Linux Foundation http://a11y.org