Re: [orca-list] running speech-dispatcher

Michael Weaver wrote:
I am trying to change from gnome-speech to speech-dispatcher and
hopefully resolve my problem of Orca shutting down.

Hello Michael,

Please, make sure you read http://live.gnome.org/Orca/SpeechDispatcher.

I keep running into this error message about not being able to use this
driver because the device is already in use by something else.
I even removed Pulseaudio from the sessions menu but still no
difference.

You need to make sure that ALL applications in your system use ALSA to
access your sound-card.  If there is just one accessing it directly, the
others can't work.  You should switch to ALSA in Gnome Sound Preferences
for instance.

I presume that if I can't sort out Alsa I can't run Speech-dispatcher.

You can.  Speech Dispatcher can be configured to use OSS, ALSA or Pulse
Audio, but ALSA is still the most reliable option.

How do I get Alsa to run and how do I make sure I am running
Speech-dispatcher once I have got things up and running?

The above mentioned page describes this in the Troubleshooting section.
 If you get Speech Dispatcher 0.6.7, you can also use spd-conf for
simple configuration and diagnostics.

Best regards,

Tomas