Re: [orca-list] unable to stop speech with Orca 2.22.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 09:25:44AM -0700, Peter Korn wrote:

If I remember correctly, we dealt with this situation in outSPOKEN for
Windows with an overridden version of "shutup" that recognized the
situation of streaming output into a terminal window, and suppressed all
further speech output only from that window.  The moment the user typed
something else, this "shutup" would be lifted until the next time the
user hit the "shutup" key.  A useful modification to this would be to
recognize the terminal prompt, and say something like "done" when that
appears alone on the last line of output (and since outSPOKEN didn't
have scripting support, we weren't in a good position to attempt that
modification).

I agree that the above is a very good solution. Perhaps this could be
activated by multiple presses/releases of modifier keys (alt, ctrl, shift...)
within a second or two.

It also seems reasonable to combine this with the other suggestion emerging
from this thread by allowing flat review to be used while speech is
suppressed.

We seem to be closing in rapidly on a solution here.