Re: [orca-list] unable to stop speech with Orca 2.22.

I can reproduce this by doing a "find /" in gnome-terminal. What's happening is that Orca is reading output as it goes flying by. To avoid this, you can do things such as:

1) Redirect the output to a file
2) Minimize the offending window
3) Give focus to another window (Alt+Tab)
4) Disable speech (Insert+s) before doing a command you know will produce lots of output. Insert+s again will re-enable speech.

Dealing with this in more automatic creative ways may be a challenge, since we don't really know how much output we're going to get from these kinds of commands. People also want to get presentation of one and two-line output, so we cannot just always disable speech.

I'd like to hear what ideas people have for how we might address this.

Will

Paul Hunt wrote:
Hi,

I get this all the time with Orca when in gnome-terminal. If I do a command that produces a lot of text like apt-get or commands for building packages. This is on Ubuntu Hardy RC.

Haven't seen it outside of gnome-terminal but I haven't been using Orca that long. Is there anything that can be done to stop it happening?

Paul

----- Original Message ----- From: "Willie Walker" <William Walker Sun COM>