Re: [orca-list] INSTALLING HARDY

am Mi 16. Apr 2008 um 12:26:10 schrieb Peter Vágner <peter v datagate sk>:
Hello Guys,
I feel I have overlooked some very important postings or discussions
because hardy is near from complete and I think I am unable to install
it with Orca.
What I did:
1) downloaded and burned yesterday's dayly build.
2) booted into it.
3) hit alft+f2 typed gnome-terminal and pressed enter.
4) into gnome-terminal window typed orca and followed all the instructions
5) after the gnome session has automatically been restarted I did seps 3
and 4 again with the only difference I was runing orca as root by
prepending its command with sudo.

No. You change the user to root, and than you type:
orca --nosetup
(hope I've written it correctly, so to be sure check out orca -h)

6) did a restart of gnome session using ctrl+alt+backspace just to ensure.

You are back as user, and you must repeat the procedure above.

7) I am assuming in such a state I can run
sudo orca
and then
sudo ubiquity
and get speech.

No. You should first change to root:
sudo su
and then:
orca --nosetup
ubiquity

But unluckily orca keeps silent after doing this.
If this is all wrong can anybody post a solution which worked for
someone? I am afraid the only way to get hardy runing on a new system is
by installing gutsy, and then dist-upgrading to hardy atm.

You can do the latter one, but beware of a lot of time to spend.
If I remember the postings to the list well, the way chosen by you is not
very reliable.
Do you have a braille display? If so, and if it is connected via USB, you
better download the alternate CD, insert it and start the install
procedure. The display is recognized automatically. I did this when
installing Feisty and Gutsy.
Hermann