Re: [orca-list] Pulseaudio and speech-dispatcher/gnome-speech in Ubuntu.

Luke Yelavich napsal(a):
I have requested permission to upload a change so that speech-dispatcher doesn't start by default.
This is a not a good solution, it showed to be very confusing for the users in case of both Festival before and now Speech Dispatcher. A side effect of permitting Speech Dispatcher in /etc/defaults/ will still be that the rest of the audio is destroyed if the user is using Pulse Audio. This is even worse, I believe, because now Speech Dispatcher doesn't start
by default and we still have the original problem.

Can't we at least change the configuration of the output modules from "alsa" to "pulse" and start a Pulse Audio daemon under the speech-dispatcher user from /etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher? While far from optimal given the current state of Pulse Audio itself, the bindings in Speech Dispatcher etc., at least it doesn't have any serious side effects and it could be started by default.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke