Re: [orca-list] Punctuation, capital letters, exchange of characters and strings, generally error in the design of Orca

am Do 10. Apr 2008 um 22:25:31 schrieb Willie Walker <William Walker Sun COM>:
PulseAudio is effectively a sound server which sits between the
application and the audio support in the kernel (ALSA/OSS):

http://pulseaudio.org/

Especially check the "perfect setup" link on that page. My first reading
shows, that it looks a bit complicated to set up, so I doubt that a user
with little knowledge in setting up sound devices - like me - should try to
install and configure it.

So, if you're using it with speech-dispatcher, then you're using it with
gnome-speech.  As Hermann writes, the Ubuntu folks seem to have
integrated it into Hardy.  If that's the case (it seems to be), you
should be getting PulseAudio support for everything.  As a result, the
issues with gnome-speech talking to speech engines that use OSS or ALSA
should be handled by PulseAudio.

Speech-dispatcher is not installed on Hardy, but in the mentioned wiki they
describe how to set up OSS apps.
As I've understood the explanations Pulseaudio gets between the apps and
the hardware, handling all sound events.
Hermann