Re: [orca-list] Punctuation, capital letters, exchange of characters and strings, generally error in the design of Orca

"MW" == Michael Whapples <mwhapples aim com> writes:

    MW> I feel something such as speech-dispatcher is sufficiently core,
    MW> and may be used by minimal apps (eg. brltty, yasr, etc) that to
    MW> some (and in some cases be difficult) to have a python
    MW> interpretor available. This I feel is a good reason for trying
    MW> to avoid using python for something such as speech dispatcher.

I can imagine adding Python interpreter as a problem only in very
special situations (and I haven't seen any such yet).  You can use the C
implementation in such special cases.

    MW> As for the performance issues,

[...]

Please note that Speech Dispatcher is not a supercomputing application,
so there are usually quite different performance issues than optimizing
low-level loops and function calls.

    MW> In the case of orca, I feel the need for python isn't such a
    MW> problem as gnome requires so much space anyway that adding
    MW> python to the list of dependencies won't make a big difference.

Whether you like it or not it's only matter of time when you won't be
able to work seriously on common computers without a graphical user
environment (I haven't already been for several years).  It's more
important to make it well accessible than to care about advanced
features in special situations.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal