Re: [orca-list] Punctuation, capital letters, exchange of characters and strings, generally error in the design of Orca

"WW" == Willie Walker <William Walker Sun COM> writes:

     WW> Hi Jan: These are all very good points. To move forward, we need
     WW> to find a constructive path to get past the problems.

     WW> As mentioned before, I believe the problem we face is that the
     WW> lower speech layers don't support all the features desired. As
     WW> such, some work will have to be done in various layers to
     WW> accommodate those speech engines that simply do not have the
     WW> features that a user demands. In
     WW> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2008-March/msg00566.html,

I cannot agree with this. Maybe it is not supported by
Gnome Speech, but the important ones certainly are supported
by Speech Dispatcher. We have been trying to explain this thing
to the Orca developers and offer the project, but I must say that with
very little success.

Gnome Speech and so subsequently also Orca are currently
a brake of future progress.  There has been no substantial
changes in Gnome Speech for the past few years and it
totally ignores all the requirements that we have already
repeatedly discussed. It is not important whether Speech
Dispatcher or Gnome Speech "wins", but if a new and better
solution wins over the older and worse.

We have already talked several times about the transition
of Orca to Speech Dispatcher and each time, the result
was that Speech Dispatcher is rather endured than supported.
I consider it a big pitty. It is not important that it is our
project, but it is important that the solution is significantly
better. If somebody else implements all the features currently
implemented and planed for Speech Dispatcher into Gnome Speech,
we can terminate the developement of Speech Dispatcher
instantly. I fear however that this won't happen.

So lets go back to a constructive solution and lets
answer the question, why there is no interest from the
oficial leadership of Orca developement to make the transition
from Gnome speech to Speech Dispatcher. Factual arguments,
not political ones. I point out that we have discussed this
thing personally, in phone calls and in emails several times.
Affected by the unwillingness to make this change are
the handicapped and I am one of them. The resources are
very limited, so it is my opinion that we can't afford to waste
them.

I'd be very happy if someone would finally openly state
why does the Orca team not want to make the
transition from Gnome Speech to Speech Dispatcher.
Does someone consider Speech Dispatcher a technical
garbage? Or is there some kind of a license problem?

If the leaders of orca deside for the transition to speech dispatcher we
are able and willing to contribute to necessary changes. May problems
will vanish because we won't be limited by the wrong design of gnome
speech. If however the state of this matter will remain the same then
all the efforts would be just a waste of energy of skilled developers.

Have a nice day

--

Jan Buchal
Tel: (00420) 24 24 86 008