Re: [orca-list] Installing Ubuntu into a virtual machine on windows

Rich Caloggero wrote:
With a physical machine, one can hear the CDRom drive stop and thus know
when to press f5 etc to get the accessible stuff turned on and orca to come up.
However, I have no idea how to do this in a VM.

Rich,
First of all, be sure you're using Ubuntu 7.04. The accessibility in the 7.10 alphas has been broken for some time, and I'm not sure when/if this will be fixed. The trick with VMWare is that unless the window is in full-screen mode, most extended keys will be passed to Windows rather than the virtual machine. Press CTRL-ALT-Enter to throw your VM into full-screen mode, and all keypresses will be passed to it. Incidentally, the CTRL-ALT combination will restore the window size so you can tab away from the VM. With all that said, wait about twenty seconds for the machine to start and load the CD-ROM. Next, press F5, 3, Enter, and Enter to boot the CD with accessibility support. Once done, wait a few minutes, and you should have speech.

- All my best,
- Steve