[orca-list] problems with OpenSUSE 10.3 - at-spi

Hello all,

I tried sending this early satturday morning but I don't thing it
reached the list for some reason.

Could someone please suggest a solution to the following problem?

I am using OpenSUSE 10.3 with Gnome.  I've downloaded and installed from
CD.

When I install, the first thing I do when everything is up and running
and I'm on the desktop is run Orca.  This is a screen reader that
enables people like me who are blind to access the graphical desktop.
Like aexpected, it's configuration wizzard is launched and after
answering a few questions, I am prompted to log out in order to enable
gnome's accessibility support.
So, I log out and back in again but I'm told that either at-spi is not
working correctly or it is not installed.  Sure enough, when I look,
at-spi isn't on the system.  No worries, I just install it using Yast.
Now, the message is not shown any more.  I try to ensure accessibility
support is enabled using the assistive technologies preferences but I
get a message saying that the gnome settings manager is not installed.
There is no package under this title but I find a work around using the
another package.  Sorry, I don't remember it's name at the moment.
Now however, although assistive software is enabled in Gnome, Orca is
still not reading controls that implement at-spi.

I can only assume that something in Gnome is not referencing at-spi
correctly.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Could you try the following?

1.  start gnome.
2.  Start orca. press alt f2 and type orca.
3.  follow the wizzard.  I usually just answer no to all it's questions
except the last one asking if it should log out as this is necessary.
3.  After logging out and back in again, note any errors you get.
4.  Launch orca again.
5.  In orca's main window you will see two buttons.  tab will navigate
the focus between each button and when orca is running it should speak
the highlighted text as you land on it.  If however your system behaves
like this one, orca will not speak at all.

Could you let me know if you experience this?

Any idea how I can get Gnome behaving as it should?

Thanks in advance.

Darragh
Hello all,

Could someone help me with some testing please?
Or, even better, could someone suggest a solution?