Re: [orca-list] Alsa-OSS Politics?

Michael Whapples wrote:
I know there are files run specific to users at start up, but is there
files run when a user logs out, which could stop speech-dispatcher?
Possibly related to the above, what would happen if two users were
logged in on different terminals? They would need different ports for
speech-dispatcher to use, and so would the clients be able to cope?

Hello Michael, since Ubuntu doesn't support speakup, I don't think they
will solve the multiuser issue for a text console.  Thus it may remain
as it is now (with Speech Dispatcher started by an init script).  In
Gnome, SD would most likely be started by gnome-session, similarly as
Gnome Speech.  These things are definitely solvable, but I would not
like to go into much detail now, since we still don't know which way
Ubuntu decides to go.  The "per user SD instance" is just one option
which I suggested...  Let's solve the problems as they arise.

I am interested as to why the audio output is in module
configuration and not speech-dispatcher's main configuration? You may
have a perfectly good reason for this, if so please enlighten me as the
reason seems to be escaping me.

I don't know the exact reasons for this.  If you are interested, try
asking at the Speech Dispatcher list.

Best regards

Tomas