Re: [orca-list] Alsa-OSS Politics?

And I am thinking, I don't know why distros now don't use
speech-dispatcher by default rather than gnome-speech, as that solves
the alsa and oss issues by handling the audio itself and so can use
either alsa or oss (as the user prefers) so long as the synth allows the
controlling app to get the audio. Now that speech-dispatcher has the
espeak specific module (rather than the generic one) and orca has the
speech-dispatcher backend I would not dream of going back to
gnome-speech.

From
Michael Whapples