Re: [orca-list] Alsa-OSS Politics?

I don't believe these are political issues. Instead, they are historical issues -- who created what with which libraries, who still maintains their code, what's changed, etc. As a result, it's kind of like a patchwork quilt.

Will

Josh de Lioncourt wrote:

I have seen in a couple of places, most notably on the Orca FAQ, that there are political issues preventing Orca from using the Alsa-OSS for speech output by default. This allows Orca to speak while other audio is playing. Curiosity is killing me...what on Earth are these political issues? It seems ridiculous that any sort of political issue can be so important as to cause such irritation, particularly for non-techie blind computer users wanting to make the transition. I just got through helping my girlfriend get ESpeak routed through Alsa-OSS, and I don't understand why this can't be the default. What are these mysterious political issues?

Josh de Lioncourt
overlord lioncourt com <mailto:overlord lioncourt com>

...my other mail provider is an owl...