Re: [orca-list] Alsa-OSS Politics?

Luke Yelavich napsal(a):
The one problem with speech-dispatcher, is that you have to set the sound card output for the synth in
question at
the system level. it is currently not possible to do this per user, amking this option unusable in
multi-user setups.

Hi Luke,

This is not possible when Speech Dispatcher is running at system level
started by an init script.  But you can always run Speech Dispatcher as
a user and you have full control over all its options.

There simply was no such requirement when we designed the Debian
package, but if there is this requirement for Ubuntu,  you are free to
choose a completely different model.  Speech Dispatcher itself is not at
all bound to the model we chose for Debian.

If this was addressed, I would certainly consider speech-dispatcher for Ubuntu.

I'm glad to hear that.  We will try to be helpful if you find any
problems to implement the other model.  It seems to be an interesting
challenge.

Best regards

Tomas