Re: [orca-list] Dragging and dropping with orca, KBD Interface Critique

Here are some of my thoughts on this.

In most cases where dragging and dropping is needed (because of no
keyboard commands for the control) it normally comes down to a poor
implementation, particularly when it comes to accessibility. In these
cases its normally imaginable that there could be keyboard equivilents
to do what the dragging and dropping is doing whilst allowing those who
don't want to use a keyboard to click to their hearts content. As an
example, in sound editing software, when the wave view control gets
focus you could have it that you can move the initial marker (the front
of the highlight, with left and right, and move the right edge of the
highlight with shift and cursor left and right. In this example, what
should be spoken and brailled for such a control, well it could give
current position of moved marker (left or right edge of highlight) and
whether it is sitting on any other marker such as a track marker. You
may imagine where I am now heading, yes you could use cut, copy and
paste for the highlight where you may normally drag and drop that
selection.

I can think of a few cases where possibly keyboard shortcuts may be
difficult to implement, although may be possible, but these uses tend to
be very visual in the operation that is being carried out and would be
extremely, if not impossible, to represent via braille or speech due to
the highly graphical nature of the material which is being operated on
(eg. in image manipulation, could you make a drawing package fully
accessible even if the keyboard shortcuts were there? What should the
drawing area speak to the user?).

One thing with linux, is that a lot of the functionality is provided
from an underlying library, and normally there are various front ends
for it (eg. GTK or QT interfaces), and as the text console is still
quite used in linux, sometimes if the graphical interface is
inaccessible you may just have to roll up your sleeves and get your
hands dirty and use the text console. May be in suggesting this I am
foolish on such a list, but I think the text console is normally much
more accessible, and only use gnome where text based systems fail (eg.
those awful websites that near enough require you to use a browser they
want you to use and firefox ends up being the only accessible Linux
solution for them).

From
Michael Whapples