Re: [orca-list] Dragging and dropping with orca, KBD Interface Critique

krister kristersplace ws wrote:
On 29 May 2007 at 22:39, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
How will this differ from cutting (Ctrl+X) and pasting (Ctrl+V)
though? What could you do with drag and drop that you cannot do with
cut and paste?
There are situations, such as in certain audio editing and music
software wher you are to manipulate widgets and such and in that
case, you can't copy/
paste.
Exactly, and not just audio apps iether. Think of diagram editing or anything remotely graphical that's based on direct manipulation. Any cursorless area in which the user has to use the mouse to select stuff presents similar problems. many readers implement D&D, that's drag and drop not dungeons and dragons <ssmile>, as marking the source object for dragging and the destination object for dropping. But another equally useful thing would be the ability to drag with the left or right button an arbitrary vertical, horizontal or circular amount measured in pixels. This kind of dragging is used to manipulate controls like knobs, which is not about dragging one object to another.

Yet another thing, in which at least the MAc requires drag and drop, is lists in which you have to re-arrange items by preference e.g. preferred languages on the Web. In addition to screen reader based D&D, I've seen up/down buttons and keyboard interfaces for moving e.g. alt+arrows.

And howabout re-arranging and re-sizing columns in what people call tables, multi-column list views or deetails views depending on context? Windows does not provide a keyboard interface for any of this in the control directly, and if the Linux folks have been borrowing without thinking, I suppose neither does Gnome. I honestly think MS made a mistake with that particular control and having to suffer from it ten years in various apps, it is extremely annoying to see the same poor keyboard interface being duplicated, say in OS X. Sory, I just feel strongly about this, and wanted to get the point across (ho offense ment, <smile>). I honestly hope Gnome and all the rest of the Linux GUis do better keybordwise. So, the question, can you re-arrange columns in a multi-column list from the keyboard in Gnome? In WIndows, screne reader based D&D or duplicating the functionality in a dialog box (think OE or Explorer's choose columns) are some of the work-arounds.

Back to mousy things, though, the fundamental problem is at the app end, though, failing to provide a keyboard interface for custom controls like knobs, sliders, points in graphs etc... I see no reason why knobs could not have the same keyboard interface as sliders do: up/right for small increment, pg up/down for larger units and home/end for reaching min and max. Its just that once things get custom enough, people stop payihng attention to keyboard interfaces, which is sad. And its quite common that you even cannot type in or see values directly, because the original thing they are emulating or modelling could not do that either, which annoys the heck out of me. It happens an awful lot in the synth plug world for no real reason.

How is the Linux music software in this regard? Most Vst plugs and hosts are keyboard nightmares to say the least, and I'm afraid this mousy philosophy might have carried over to LInux as wel. How is ardour, for example, which should be GTK+ 2 based and thus potentially accessible? a friend of mine has been hyping that one a lot lately. He also runs VST plugs under WIne but no ORca there, of course.

want to put an audio loop on a track you have to drag it there.
Not only that but you have to drag, too, when you want to extend a pattern. from a keyboard user point of view, this makes no sense at all. I mean, if I know I want 10 times pattern x, 12 times pattern y and 10 times pattern z, that's a lot of D&D which can be very slow full-sscreen magnified. It would be an order of magnitude faster for me to simply supply a repeat count.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila mail student oulu fi)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila/