Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu and Speakup

Hermann wrote:
Hi,
does Ubuntu have Speakup's kernel patch implemented?
If so, how can I activate it, so that I can use Speakup's speech support in the text mode?

Good news and bad news here. Speakup is compiled into the stock kernel in Edgy and Feisty, but will be removed again in Gutsy. We are focusing on the Graphical desktop and want to reduce maintenance burdens in the kernel. See the speakup list for the full debate.

Espeak in shipped on the Default CDs from Feisty, replacing Festival.

Henrik