[orca-list] Resp.: Instructions on How to Instal ubuntu Under VMWare Server

Hello,
This is a little off topic because it's not related to orca, but I
decided to post what you asked because it iis relevante to orca
testers that would like to have, for example, a ubuntu and windows
running at the same time then they can access internet to look for
relevant topics om windows while they can easily switch to ubuntu to
try what they're learning.
This way if you need aditional help feel  free to contact me off list.
Most part of the information I will write is for jaws screen reader
usage, but other screen readers have similar functionality. I am also
assuming that vmware is correctly set up in hyour host machine.
1- Create in your c drive a directory called ubuntu
2- Download the ubuntu*.iso, the most updated version is 7.04 and
choose feisty to download. Save the iso file in c:\ubuntu.
3- Opem vmware server and go create a virtual machine:
3.1- Use jaws cursor to find the home button and left click on it.
3.2- Use jaws cursotr to find the new virtual machine button and left
click on it.
3.3- Click the next button, now it's a standard wizard and can be used
with jaws normally.
3.4- Select custom and next.
3.5- Select linux in the guezst operating system and choose ubuntu in
the version combobox. Click next.
3.6- Give your virtual machine a name, a location (I suggest
c:\ubuntu) and click next.
3.7- Decide if you want your vm private or not, use jaws cursor to
verify what it means and click next.
3.8- Decide how your vm will be loaded, use the jaws cursor to see the
what the options mean and click next.
3.9- Decide the number of processors (I suggest one) and cliick next.
3.10- Specify the amount of ram your machine will have. I only suggest
using a linux machine with graphical interface if you ahve 1 gb or
more of ram in your physical machine. This given I suggest reserving
for now 384 mb of ram to the virtual machine * you can change this
latter. After doing this click next.
3.11- Choose the networking characteristics of your vm, use jaws
cursor to see what each option mean and click next.

3.12- Choose the io adapter your machine will be set up to use. I
suggest the defaults. Click next affter this.

3.13- Choose the virtual hd characteristics. I suggest the default. Click next.

3.14- Decide if your disk will be scsi or ide, I suggest scsi. Click next.

3.15- Choose your disk capacity and let alocate space now checked.
This is real disk usage so be aware that if you choose a 5 gb virtual
disk, for example, it will spend 5 gb of your physical harddisk, and a
5gb file (or some files that added will have this aproximate size)
will be created in the vm location you'vee just set, in this sample
c:\ubuntu. After doing this click next.

3.16- Check if you want to change the name or location of the file (s)
that will be used to store your virtual hd data. I recommend to
accept the defaults. Click finish.

4- Set up other characteristics of your vm
4.1- You now are back in the vmware server main screem. Use the jaws
cursor to find a button that have the name you've given to your new
vm, in this sample ubuntu. Left click in it. Arrowing down with jaws
cursor will now show your vm configurations.
4.2- Use the jaws cursor to left click  the vm menu, located in the
top part of the screen. It won't read the menu names as menus, but
click in a word called vm usually one of the words that is in the
second line from top to down of the screen.
4.3- Now you are located in a standard menu, and can arrow down and
up. Choose the settings option.

4.4- In the hardware tab, arrow through the installed devices list,
the only list present in this tab. You will have to see what items are
present and what of them are not in the list. You will need a sound
card and a cdroom drive on it. If they aren't on it use the add button
to add them.
4.5- Add needed devices
4.5.1- Add virtual sound card.
4.5.1.1- To add the sound card go to the add button in the hardware
settings tab and click it.
4.5.1.2- Click next.
4.5.1.3- Select sound adapter in the list and click next.
4.5.1.4- Decide what physical sound card will be used to play all the
virtual machine's sounds. If you're not sure about what to do let use
default sound adapter checked. Make sure that connect at power on is
checked and click finish.
4.5.2 Add the cdroom drive.
4.5.2.1- To add the cdroom drive go to the add button in the hardware
settings tab and click it.
4.5.2.2- Click next.
4.5.2.3- select dvd / cd room drive in the list and click next.
4.5.2.4- check dvd / cdroom drive - use iso image, this is not the
default and cloick next.
4.5.2.5- click the image iso browce ... button.
4.5.2.6- use jaws cursor to navegate in this screem. You'll find two
scroll down symbols, left click in the one that is in the left.
4.5.2.7- Activate the pc cursor and navegate in the treeview till the
drive you downloaded the ubuntu iso image, which in this sample is c:
and press enter.
4.5.2.8- Tab till a list and choose the folder where the iso file is
located, and press enter on it.
4.5.2.9- Now choose the iso file that will probably be the only one
listed, in the same list you used to choose the folder (its content
was updated when you pressed enter) and press enter.
4.5.2.10- Make sure in thiis screen that connect at power on is
checked and click finish.
4.6- click ok, and you will be back in the vmware server main screen.
5- Power on your new vm and control it
5.1- Use jaws cursor to find a button with the name of your vm and
left click in it.
5.2- Choose power on. In some minuts your vm willl boot via the linux
iso file and you will hear the ubuntu sounds. Then follow what is in
the orca wiki about running and installing it.
5.3- If you want to back to your host operating system press ctrl ++ alt.
5.4- If you want to control the vm again open the vmware server main
window, use jaws cursor to find a button wwith your machine name, left
click on it, press down arrow and left click again. Jaws should stop
talking and you will be controlling your virtual machine.