Re: [orca-list] one major question about speach still can't be answered.

Hello Tomas,
I cannot answer all your questions, because I cannot willingly reproduce
the crash.
Regarding the messages in espeak.log, I'm not so sure now; I found them
with SD working. I suspect they appear when I press the control key to stop
Orc speaking.
But in speech-dispatcher.log there are repeatly lines saying
!... connection closed..."
When the crash ocurs.
Speech-dispatcher is running while Orca doesn't speak, and a
ps aux |grep sd_generic
returns no result, even when Orca's talking.
In my home directory there's no .asoundrc file.
When the crash orcurs again, I check whether I can play sound files.
However: I don't think it is a general problem with sound device, because I
can play audio files together with Orca speaking as long as it is running
without crashes.
In espeak-generic.conf the lines you ask are as follows:

GenericExecuteSynth \
"echo \"$DATA\" | speak -b -w /tmp/espeak.wav -v $VOICE -s $RATE -a $VOLUME -p $PITCH --stdin && aplay
/tmp/espeak.wav"

Note: Besides this issues I must say that I'm fascinated of the performance
of SD: Quick, responsive, and Orca and the apps produce no more huge
overflows to the swap partition: Althoug I started several apps several
times I actually have 30 MB in my swap partition. With Gnome-speech it
might easily be more than 100.
The SayAll function almost works perfectly, but that's another thread. One
more thread to come is the setup of reading punctuation.
Hermann