Re: [orca-list] one major question about speach still can't be answered.

Hermann wrote:
I can confirm the crash, but in my case not Orca causes it, but SD.
/var/log/speech-dispatcher/espeak.log
contains lines like
underrun! xxxxx ms etc.

And does it really crash?  Doesn't it only stop speaking?  Is there
something else in any of the speech dispatcher log files?  Does the
speech-dispatcher process still run after that?  Does the sd_generic
process run?

The most annoying thing is that I can't restart SD, except with rebooting my
machine.
/etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher resart
reports that SD has been restarted, but
spd-say "hello"
does not say a word, but produces no error message.

Then I suspect there might be some problem in the underlying sound
system.  Do other audio application work at this point?  What do you
have in your /etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak-generic.conf for
GenericExecuteSynth?

So repeated rebooting of the computer seems not only a Windows typical
necessity.

Not really, you just need to know what needs to be restarted...

The crash in Orc happens often when an E-Mail arrives in Evolution, and a
sound is played. I think SD uses Alsa, that handles multiple sound events;
does it really?

Yes, it should, unless there is some problem in your alsa setup.  For
example I remember some people had problems because of some old
.asoundrc file in their home directory.

As Halim reported the fix works, and I don't have the issue of not properly
closing the dialog. Which Python errors do appear?

I don't understand the question :-(

Note: You must configure the speech settings (volume, rate pitch) in the SD
config files:
/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf
and
/etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak-generic.conf

Exactly!

Thanks for your good feedback.  Keep going.

Best regards

Tomas