Re: [orca-list] main window redesign

Hi,
At the risk of also getting bashed i have to disagree here.
If windows users expect to find windows, they might think again. This is
a totally different operating system with (as i understand it) a totally
different philosophy. It is a non-commercial system and in a manner of
speaking the "people" can do with it as they wish, which makes it so
interesting to work with it. I worked with a Mac earlier before i had to
migrate to Windows, and i didn't expect a Mac interface in Windows
although they did their best to imitate the mac system. I think the
beauty of Linux is that it in many ways is similar to Windows but in
other ways is so vastly different. Why reinvent the wheel? If people
like windows, then by all means let 'em use it but why should we make
Gnome or Kde for that matter a windows lookalike?
I can see your point in taking good concepts that users find useful and
adopt it here, but why the whole concept? If people are afraid of trying
something new maybe they should stick to what they already know.
/Krister

hermann wrote:
At the risk of beeing bashed, but why don't Linux programs place icons
on the desktop as Windows apps use to do?
At least for Orca, and unexperienced users, it might be a suggestion. So
clicking this icon will bring up the small window with teh quit button.
Or: Is there a way to place Orca in the system tray, so that the whole
dialog can be started from there, the quit button included?
You should realize that, especially Ubuntu, is sold as THE system for
those who want to switch from Windows to Linux, and they expect to see
Windows, except the name :-)
Hermann