Re: Orca Acroread fix checked in (was Re: What happened to the Acroread script?)

Hi Hermann. Thanks for the debug.out, I *think* I see what's going on, but I'm CCing the list so that if I'm totally wrong Will or Rich or someone can jump in and provide the correct info. <smile>

I found these lines in what you sent me:

-------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orca/focus_tracking_presenter.py", line 183, in _createScript
    [''])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orca/scripts/acroread.py", line 42
     <<<<<<< .mine
      ^
 SyntaxError: invalid syntax

While attempting to import scripts.acroread
Looking for toolkit script GAIL.py...
...could not find GAIL.py
NEW SCRIPT: acroread (module=orca.default)
--------------

What I believe that means is the following:

1. When you updated from svn, subversion attempted to update your existing acroread.py (i.e. presumably the modified one from Rich) to the brand new one (i.e. the one where I moved a bunch of methods) and failed to do so. I think that's what the "<<<<<<< .mine" bit is all about.

2. Because of this problem and subsequent syntax error, Orca couldn't load the acroread script and instead loaded the default script. What we should be seeing on the "NEW SCRIPT" line is:

    acroread (module=orca.scripts.acroread)

As I mentioned in an earlier message, one of the things the acroread script does is try to eliminate a bunch of unnecessary chattiness. If you're accessing Acrobat Reader with the default script, it certainly would explain all the extra stuff you're hearing.

As for what to do: You need to blow away your current acroread.py and get a new one. Easiest way to do that in my opinion is:

1. cd into the directory where you have Orca from svn (e.g. ~/orca).
2. rm src/orca/scripts/acroread.py
3. svn update

That will cause you to get the latest everything (you're a "bleeding edge" kinda guy <smile>) plus a fresh new acroread.py. Then reinstall and I think you'll be good to go.

Let me know.  And, as always, I really appreciate all your help!

Take care.
Joanie