Re: [orca-list] trouble running Orca

Hi Willie,

Now I'm running into another problem where it starts and says "Welcome to
Orca!" via eSpeak but won't say anything else.  If I stop X, then it
starts to say something else, so I think that it is a gnome-speech/eSpeak
problem.

Very odd.  Are you a braille user?  If so, does the braille display
update?

Sorry--I don't have a Braille display to test with, but it is intermittent and seems related to gnome-speech. It was working for me a while ago. Then I stopped getting speech, so I stopped Orca (I think it did voice the quit prompt, but I don't remember) and restarted it and saw the problem again. I could no longer activate espeak with test-speech, either; I could when things were working.

I also see "anykey" printed to the console repeatedly, but I'm not sure
where this is coming from.

This is odd.  I'm pretty sure it's nowhere in the Orca sources.

Yeah, it shows up in at-spi-registryd, now that I've searched most of my /usr tree. I tried running Orca from a separate console from , and the anykey message showed up in the console from which X was started.

So it looks as though none of the things that I'm complaining about concern Orca.

-Mike G-