Re: [orca-list] trouble running Orca

You might try running the following via Alt+F2 to see what happens:

   python -c "import gtk; gtk.gdk.display_get_default()"

Thanks; that helped.  The problem had nothing to do with Orca.  I had
upgraded Python to 2.5 without recompiling some modules (Gentoo didn't
stop me frolm doing this), and it couldn't find cairo because it was
compiled for 2.4 but not 2.5.  I had run into similar problems before.

OK, phew.  Mucking around with the different Python versions, especially
when you're building Python, can get screwy.

Now I'm running into another problem where it starts and says "Welcome to
Orca!" via eSpeak but won't say anything else.  If I stop X, then it
starts to say something else, so I think that it is a gnome-speech/eSpeak
problem.

Very odd.  Are you a braille user?  If so, does the braille display
update?

I also see "anykey" printed to the console repeatedly, but I'm not sure
where this is coming from.

This is odd.  I'm pretty sure it's nowhere in the Orca sources.

Will