Re: [orca-list] plugging other language voices

Hi Will,

On 6/18/07, Willie Walker <William Walker sun com> wrote:
Hi Ishwor:

Thank you for your prompt response.

>         Another way might be to try to write some festival SCHEME and
>         do the
>         transliteration inside festival as part of the synthesis
>         process.
>

> I did the transliteration part inside the festival in the lexicon file
> itself. Now festival is reading texts in the nepali unicode fonts.

Excellent.  Congratulations to you for figuring out how to do this.  :-)

Thanks

> I have ubunty (feisty fawn) in which I've installed festival with its
> dependencies and festival-freebsoft-utils packages.In Orca
> preferences, kal_diphone is listed with the festival GNOME speech
> driver.
>
> So, I simply copied my nepali voice into
> the /usr/share/festival/voices/ directory but it is not listed in the
> orca voice list.

Orca uses gnome-speech to talk with festival. The gnome-speech driver
for festival uses the '(voice.list)' command in festival to determine
the list of available voices.  So, if your new voice doesn't show up in
the results of typing (voice.list) on the festival interactive command
line, gnome-speech won't know about it.  I'm not quite sure how to
install a new voice in festival, but I'm guessing it might not be as
easy as copying a voice somewhere.  :-(

Inside festival, it shows my voice when i use (voice.list)
(kal_diphone hindi_NSK_diphone mpp_nep_eks_clunits)

"mpp_nep_eks_clunits" is my voice for nepali.

The problem is that this voice isn't being listed in the Orca preferences. Since my voice works well in festival, I don't think the problem is with the festival. May be something to be done in gnome-speech driver or the orca.

It was only my guess that may be because my voice is cluster unit selection type and not a diphone voice, it isn't being recognized by orca.

Hope this helps, and please let me know how things work out.

Will

Ishwor