Re: [orca-list] plugging other language voices

Hi Ishwor:

        Another way might be to try to write some festival SCHEME and
        do the
        transliteration inside festival as part of the synthesis
        process.

I did the transliteration part inside the festival in the lexicon file
itself. Now festival is reading texts in the nepali unicode fonts.

Excellent.  Congratulations to you for figuring out how to do this.  :-)

I have ubunty (feisty fawn) in which I've installed festival with its
dependencies and festival-freebsoft-utils packages.In Orca
preferences, kal_diphone is listed with the festival GNOME speech
driver.

So, I simply copied my nepali voice into
the /usr/share/festival/voices/ directory but it is not listed in the
orca voice list.

Orca uses gnome-speech to talk with festival. The gnome-speech driver
for festival uses the '(voice.list)' command in festival to determine
the list of available voices.  So, if your new voice doesn't show up in
the results of typing (voice.list) on the festival interactive command
line, gnome-speech won't know about it.  I'm not quite sure how to
install a new voice in festival, but I'm guessing it might not be as
easy as copying a voice somewhere.  :-(

Hope this helps, and please let me know how things work out.

Will