Re: [orca-list] Speech Dispatcher 0.6.4 beta1 -- request for help with testing

Jon wrote:
problems getting speech-dispatcher to work:
sudo speech-dispatcher
loads without problems, and it states that it is starting with one output module.
doing:
sudo spd-say hello still no audable output, but no error.

You say that SD started with just one module. Which one was it? If that's espeak-generic, I'd guess, that the other modules didn't start because they were not able to connect to the audio device. Since the default audio device is now ALSA, this might mean, that there's something wrong with it. Did you check your configure output for the availability of ALSA? If ALSA doesn't work, espeak generic module is the only one to start, since it doesn't open audio on startup, but will not be able to speak anyway, so that is why I guess this might be your problem. If you don't remebber the ./configure output, you can simply run it again...

I dont seem to have no /var/log/speechd.log to examine.

This should be /var/log/speech-dispatcher/speechd.log by default. If the log file can not be opened, Speech Dispatcher logs to standard output. So the file either must be somewhere or you should see it on the screen...

Best regards, Tomas